Two years ago today I was laid off from a 9 to 5 job.
I made a commitment to spend 24 months learning what social media is, using it and creating a difference.
Here’s what I’ve learned in those two years:
- Twitter is more than talking about what you are doing
- Blogging can change your life
- I’m a lucky girl
- Facebook is the new party line
- Anyone can do this
- If you’re smart business owner, you’ll utilize social media to grow your business
- Listen twice as much as you talk
- Make new friends – they’ll change your world
- Speak up
- Tell a story, people want to hear it
Here’s what I’ve done:
- Helped write a book – Age of Conversation 3
- Presented at iBlog Conference
- travel to Midwest locations and help non-profits build a social media plan
- Created a business to help small business owners with social media
- Blogged at www.debworks.com and written 396 posts
- tweeted 17,429 times
- Learned how to use a Flip from PBS reporter John Pemble
- learned how my digital camera can make movies from Becky McCray
- used Animoto to create marketing plans for local businesses
- work with a brain trust of online members who are committed to making a difference
- learned how tourism is vital to grow my local community
- planned a conference that never happened (failure is a good thing too)
- meet so many people smarter than me and it’s forced my brain to grow
Here’s just a few people I call friend because of social media (this is just a few names) :
- Becky McCray @beckymccray
- Linda Crim – @Miss_Dazey
- Glenda Watson-Hyatt @glendawh
- Jon Swanson @jnswanson
- Paul Merrill @paulmerrill
- Sheila Scarborough @sheilas
- Chris Brogan @chrisbrogan
- Patsy Terrell @patsyterrell
- Cody Heitschmidt @codyks
- Drew McClellan @drewmcclellan
- Susan Murphy @suzemuse
- Jody Halsted @iatraveler
- Danny Brown @dannybrown
- Phil Gerbyshak @philg
- Liz Strauss @lizstrauss
Here’s my plans for the future:
- Speaking at 140 Character Conference in Hutch
- Bringing Oprah to Hampton Iowa
- Working with Simon Estes and the Rising Stars Program
- Building the best small town tourism plan you’ve ever seen and implementing it
- Traveling and blogging about it (thanks Geoff Livingston for the inspiration)
- Sharing the stories of the people in the Midwest
- Being the best me that I can be!
[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by debworks, Miss Dazey. Miss Dazey said: Wow! You have done so much in 2 yrs, & you only begun RT @debworks: Happy Anniversary to me! http://bit.ly/9841nE […]
I stopped by because I was reading my good friend Linda’s (Miss_Dazey) Twitter page and saw your congrats to yourself. Now how wonderfully positive is that? I have found if you write down your plans for the future or share them with someone you are more likely to follow-through. You have done both; congratulations on two years away from 9 to 5 (although I suspect you work longer hours now) and kudos for sharing your goals.
Good luck to you.
Awesome learnings my friend. You’re really *doing* social media right. It’s all about the conversations and the connections, and I’m glad we were able to create something for both of us!
Big hugs and congrats! Phil (aka @philgerb).
I just live Miss Dazey! Thanks for stopping by and for all the encouragement.
Mwaaahhhh! You get the power in a brain trust!
Every one of your lessons learned is a story, and a tweet. Congratulations on all you’ve learned, tried, and accomplished. See you soon, in Hutch!
thanks! Looking very much forward to Hutch. I think I know what I’m going to say!