A Few Videos
TEDx is an international community that organizes TED-style events anywhere and everywhere — celebrating locally-driven ideas and elevating them to a global stage. Brookings, SD TEDx invited Deb to speak about the Tour of Empty Buildings – TEDx Brookings (8 minutes)
Visit with Sharon Frerichs, Mayor of Akron, Iowa. Deb was there for an Embedded Community Experience. This video highlights the events, businesses and highlights since Deb’s visit. (20 minutes)
Developing Resilient Communities: The Idea Friendly Method with Becky McCray, virtual, Limestone Bluffs RC&D, 2021 (52 minutes)
RuralX is a unique rural celebration designed to bring rural champions together from across the region to boost rural economic and community development. Becky and Deb keynoted at the inaugural RuralX and returned the following year to keynote again. Rural X Summit, Closing Keynote (12 minutes)
Deb brought an Embedded Community Experience to Belle Fourche, SD and keynoted at the end of the visit. This short piece is a Belle Fourche, SD Discussion on Creating Workspaces (4 minutes)
RuralX Innovative Rural Business Models (about 30 minutes)
Video Short one and half minute of Empty Buildings Tour
Wisconsin Rural Partners Workshop – Becoming an Idea Friendly Town two hours
Helping you solve your small town challenges
Small Town Specialist – Deb Brown, cofounder of SaveYour.Town and create of Building Possibility, is your small town specialist.
Iowa Ideas into Action presentation
Written and Online Coverage:
Update from Swift County, MN - action being taken after my visit there! https://rpb.li/fDxO
Pine City Press - Recap from GPS:4593 presentation
County Star Minnesota recap
How a Tour of Empty Buildings Saved a Small Town by the Canadian Broadcast System
Filmore County Tour of Empty Buildings “Sharing a newspaper article from our recent Tour of Business Opportunities, which was coordinated after I watched your video series. Thank you for the great idea! I gave you credit when I talked to the reporter, and they mentioned you in the article. The event drew a lot of attention beforehand and afterwards. We have several business owners at retirement age, as well as a few who have relocated businesses to new sites or new construction in town, so our downtown has several properties for sale. This tour was very much needed, and we continue to strive for positivity. This link on our website provided the event details
Renewed Interest: A Fresh Look at the Rural Church, Collaborative Development International
Rural Telecom Magazine – Small but Strong: Strategies for Business Success in Rural America
- National speakers urge RuralX17 registration. American News (Aberdeen, SD). July 7, 2017.
- Ross E. A “friend” to small businesses: Facebook, Twitter tools topic of summit planned to meet rural challenges. Hutchinson News, The (KS). March 7, 2010
- For Radically Rural, Keene transformed into a conference center
- News By: Hubbard, Sierra. Keene Sentinel, The (NH). 09/29/2018. , Database: Newspaper Source Plus
- National speakers urge RuralX17 registration American News (Aberdeen, SD). 07/07/2017.
- Diverse offerings on tap at Radically Rural summit Keene Sentinel, The (NH). 08/05/2018.
- Ticket sales open for Radically Rural Summit By: Holt, William. Keene Sentinel, The (NH). 07/28/2018.
- CEDA meeting highlights struggles smaller communities face By: Todd, Brian. Post-Bulletin (Rochester, MN). 06/17/2021.
- Expert: Small towns should take bold, small steps By: Featherstone, Charles H., Columbia Basin Herald (Moses Lake, WA), Sep 22, 2017
- Fostoria, Ohio
- The Freedom Call, Sept 28, 2023. "From Photos to Action"
Dustin Ingram Dissertation For Sale or Rent: Preventing Demolition by Neglect in Iowa in Iowa's Downtowns page 44-45
If You Could Live Anywhere by Melody Warnick
A Cleave within the Piney Woods: Nacogdoches, Stephen F. Austin State University and How Racial Integration Divided the Town and Gown, Stephen F. Austin State University, Texas, thesis by Caitlin R. Hornback, 2022
Book: Public Policy in Contentious Times by Peter K. Kresl, 2021, published by Edward Elgar Publishing
Visit the Square page that shares the story Made In Iowa. Deb was instrumental in the process. https://squareup.com/dreams/webster-city
Creative Uses for Downtown Buildings in Small Towns, University of Wisconsin Extension and Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation, Bill Ryan, Emily Lutz, and Melissa Kono of UW-Extension, with Errin Welty of WEDC, contributed profiles of “Retail Incubator: The Village” and “Outdoor Retail Marketplace: Tionesta Market Village” 2017