She Speaks did a survey on how we are shopping during this economic downturn. Here are some interesting results:
- Many of you are more uncertain (52%) and more stressed (42%) because of the economy, but many of you are also more grateful (29%) for what you have.
- Overall, you are spending less on jewelry (68%), dining out (60%) and travel (58%), but more on groceries (73%), make up and beauty (58%), gifts (53%) and chocolate (52%)!
- Sixty-eight percent of you consider yourselves thrifty and over half of you use paper coupons (57%) and online coupon codes (52%) to save money during the recession.
- Price is the top driver of your purchases of household products (59%), food (58%) and clothing (51%), but brand reigns supreme when shopping for personal/beauty products (34%) and cars (31%).
Let’s just consider these results – put them in context of your network marketing business. I will use Melaleuca as the example here.
- Women are spending more on make up, beauty, gifts, chocolate.
- Over half are using either paper or online coupons.
- Household products are bought according to price.
- Brand still dictates what personal care/beauty products women buy.
That means when I give a presentation about Melaleuca products I’m going to emphasize this:
- Our personal care/beauty products line is Nicole Miller. She’s a well known fashion designer who decided she wanted safer products for her customers and teamed up with Melaleuca.
- Our household cleaning products are concentrated and price actually turns out to be less expensive than the dollar store. Imagine: safe, non-toxic products that are less expensive than the dollar store!
- Our marketplace is where you can shop online at stores like Target, Kohls, Dell, overstock.com, Sears (and 70 other stores) and be guaranteed to save up to 15%! No more cutting out coupons – just shop online and receive the discount or have the rebate sent to you.
- We’ve got all kinds of great gift ideas. What woman doesn’t like to be pampered? You can put together a great gift selection with our products!
picture courtesy of flickr.com
“Many of you are more grateful for what you have.” Interesting how a downturn can turn the focus back on what has gone well for each of us personally rather than poorly. I wonder if your audience would also be receptive to the idea of ‘indulging while saving.’
I would think they would like to indulge and save! That’s what my company offers — products you already use in your home, safer, and at better prices — isn’t that a great indulgence?
As always – thanks for stopping by!